Experimentation

Today was extra nippy and my Angelic Pretty lunch box arrived yesterday so I decided to stay indoors and experiment with a few new recipes today. I should finally buy a recipe book. I have been searching around for a little while and found this one pictured for this entry on a website fredflare.com.


~First, I attempted a sugarfree kinpira. It was salty and sweet and delicious with rice. No condiments were needed beyond the soy sauce listed in the recipe.


* 2 medium carrots
* 1 Tbs. sesame oil
* a pinch of pepper
* 1 Tbs. soy sauce
* 1 tsp. sesame seeds
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cut carrots into matchstick size. Heat up frying pan with 1 Tbs. sesame oil. Add the carrots and toss until crispy-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and toss some more. Add soy sauce, toss toss. Add the sesame seeds near the end.




~Next, I tried a French Madeleine recipe a friend pointed out to me. I have always wanted to make madeleines. I sadly did not have a madeleine mold, however; I did have a fancy cookie pan. My only complaint was the madeleine cookies had too many air bubbles.

* 1 cup sugar
* 5 eggs
* 1/2 cup butter (melted)
* 1 1/2 cups cake flour (sifted)
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 zest of lemon or zest of orange
* confectioners' sugar (dusting)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beat eggs until light yellow in color; add sugar, butter, vanilla, zest and continue mixing. Sift flour and baking powder and add to wet ingredients and mix well. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a tablespoon of batter into each well-greased, madeline mold. Bake for 8- 12 minutes or until light golden in color. Turn out madelines and cool. Dust with confectionery sugar.

No comments: