Mix and Match

"To mix, or not to mix: that is the question:"

An ongoing controversy circles around many gyaru and lolita forums and communities: should lolita, princess-style, and gyaru fashion be combined? This debate never seems to get resolved whenever the topic is brought up.

I, for one, am in favor of combining these styles. I find that combinations can sometimes lead to interesting coordinations and delightful new styles; i.e. himegyaru. It also adds a bit of uniqueness which sometimes these styles might need. Yes, jumper skirts can be made with different prints and skirts can be pleated, tiered, or scalloped but at the end of the day most brand share the same outfit patterns.

If you look through certain magazines such as Ageha, Pinky, and Ray you will notice that they promote the combination of styles by the sharing of brand accessories and articles of clothing. Ageha features their models wearing mini tops hats, Angelic Pretty's jewelry, and using Baby's heart shoulder bags to mention just a few. While the Gothic & Lolita Bibles display models with similar gyaru eye makeup and jewelry.

Hairstyles are another shared trait. Lolita are starting to add more height to their hair. While headbows, crowns, and the princess-style haircut is visible throughout all of these styles.

Another tally on the side of combining these different fashions is that fact they all share a love for the same trends. Deco and sweets accessories are prevalent in both gyaru and lolita fashions.

I believe that if mixed correctly this three styles can meld together perfectly.

4 comments:

Violet LeBeaux said...

Good article!

I've kind of got mixed feelings on mixing styles, it really depends if the individual person can pull it off. But if people hadn't experimented with style to begin with none of these awesome styles would exist!

I originally was only interested in Lolita but over the last 2 years I've found myself straying into Hime Gyaru. I started by just mixing key pieces into my wardrobe and now I've developed my own style which leans much more towards Hime.

I used to be such a purist Lolita but after wearing the style everyday for several years I needed a change!

I don't think everyone is ever going to agree on whether to mix styles or not but I kind of see Hime Gyaru as Lolita's older sister. They might not be the same but here are similarities and they're from the same vein of fashion. Not interchangeable but very close friends!

Lady Kristen said...

Thank you! ♥

I agree that himegyaru does seem like the older sister to lolita. As I get older I notice that I am definitely being drawn into the hime and himegyaru styles.

I too doubt that there will ever be an agreement on if those styles should ever be mixed.

Violet LeBeaux said...

I think it's kind of sad that there is so much animosity between two styles that really should be banding together! I mean they are both kind of outcast from mainstream fashion so in fighting just makes both fashions look worse to the general public. Just like how Lolitas now have a reputation for being catty :(

Lady Kristen said...

Well people are going to form certain opinions about wears of different fashions. Naturally people shun or label something they don't understand.

It doesn't help that most of the wearers of the lolita fashion are drama queens and can be or promote being catty.