Being a princess in public

~Princess in disguise~

Regrettably there will always be times when dressing princessly in public is not appropriate. These times usually are when a dress code of sorts is required such as during school and work. But this does not mean you need to drop your love for being unconventional though. It only needs to be toned down slightly.

I work in a hospital during the weekends, so for health and practical reasons I am unable to dress in my favorite fashions. As with all hospitals: staff must wear scrubs, maintain a simple and suitable nail length and style, and have a well groomed up-do hair style. However, I incorporate small accessories and cute designs into my outfit. I buy and make scrubs with cute prints and pastel colors. I paint my nails to match my scrubs. I wear clips in my hair or use ponytail holders with bows or flowers. My ID badge hangs from a cupcake themed lanyard and has a deco design. Finally my pens are adorable specialty pens from a local Korean store.

There are always ways to express your love for alterative fashions even when you have to observe mandatory societal codes.

Tips:
♥ Add cute straps and accessories to your purse/bag/bookbag
♥ Buy cute notebooks to use
♥ Use cute pens and pencils
♥ Style your hair in adorable styles
♥ Wear cute hair accessories – bows, hearts, etc.
♥ Paint your nails to match your outfit
♥ Decorate your ID or your ID holder

Remember, it is always best to slowly infuse these items into your outfit so you desensitize your coworkers, classmate, or whomever it may concern to your “odd taste in fashion”. One week start to wear a new hairstyle. Then two weeks or so later include a hair clip or two.

4 comments:

Violet LeBeaux said...

You are totally right, I am all for every day princess but a good princess knows when the clothing is appropriate or not.

If you work in retail they usually let you wear your own shoes too so that can be a great place to start. Make sure that they're comfortable though if you're going to be spending 8 hours a day in them!

Lady Kristen said...

Mostly definitely. A good princess can dress appropriately for any occasion.

I used to work in a laboratory and I was ecstatic when they allowed me to wear my Baby and Angelic Pretty boots.

Violet LeBeaux said...

Zomg picturing you in a lab coat with AP boots surrounded by very serious scientists has made my day :D

Lady Kristen said...

I'm glad that made your day. XD It was always hilarious to have to stand next to my presentation at the scientific conferences in my boots. People would always stare at them rather than my poster with confused faces.