Why does happy ever after have to end?

You can see it on T-shirts, pants, purses, any multitude of accessories, and toys. Princess. This title portrays both innocence and narcissism. Images of Disney princesses, actual royalty, or entitled rich girls come to mind at the mention of the word.

Most girl's are told when they are little that they are princesses. Most movies, coloring books, and toys for girls are princess themed. We are indulged in a world of make believe and fairy tales. Society accepts this. There is nothing wrong with labeling yourself or being labeled a princess when you are in elementary school, and then we are supposed to grow out of it. This phase passes and a new obsession will take its place. But what happens if this interest in princesses does not fade away?

When a girl tends to keep her childhood princess interests she is labeled as another type of princess. She is seen as either being a space cadet or having a princess complex. Images of the show Bridezilla comes to mind when I think of how 'an adult princess' is viewed. Ranting and raving. Nothing is good enough for her. Throwing temper tantrums at the slightly hint that she is not going to get something she wants. She must have the biggest toys and the best items of everyone around her. Wanting to be a princess does not mean that you need to act egotistical and attention seeking. Adult princesses should show the world there is more to being a princess than acting like a diva.

I see nothing wrong with labeling yourself as a princess as long as you can still act your age. There are of course behaviors and activities that are accepting at the age of four and not at the age of twenty-four or forty-four. Wanting the best items you can afford and maintaining a certain appearance is okay. Throwing temper tantrums and manipulating people around are not okay. My mother let me surround myself with a life of fantasy and I have a science degree and a wonderful career.

I have never been ashamed to state I am an adult princess. Besides my love of fantasy and my fashion tastes I am relatively normal. I do not use lolita and himegyaru fashion as an 'I wish I were a Disney princess' escapism tactic. I think of myself as a practical princess. I wear these styles to express my love of girlie and elegant lifestyle I already loved before I knew about these fashions. I am in no way a special snowflake. Nor I do not think I should get everything for free. I neither act like a diva nor a spoiled brat. I enjoy wearing pastel dresses, pearls, and having flowing hair. And I have a love for the ultra-feminine and adorable.

There are so many parents that worry their daughters will not grow out of the princess phase. Why wouldn't you want girls to feel like princesses? It is such a self esteem boost. And what girl does not want to feel the best about herself? So many children and teens nowadays have such low self-esteem and negative body images. Why not let girls portray the princesses they want themselves to be? Princesses embody gracefulness, elegance, charm, and beauty. Their lives are adventurous, full of travel, and meeting new people. Plus they have money and nice material possessions. Of course life cannot always be pearls, rainbows, and cupcakes. Princesses have problems just like anyone else, but they also have assistants and advisers to help them. And who would not like the help of advisers in difficult situations?

Let the little girls grow up to be whom they want. Teach them right from wrong and let their imaginations soar.


image from: Carnegie Club

4 comments:

DuskRose_Dreaming said...

I love this post. I think of myself as an adult princess as well, and it's so neat to see someone verbalizing what is pretty much my own view on the matter.
For me it's also comforting to know that even when the problems do come around, the pearls and cupcakes (or in my case the roses and chandeliers XD ) don't have to fade away from one's "internal world"/mindset (if that made sense), or at least not entirely.

Madrepérola said...

I always ask to myself "why some people like to destroy childish dreams?". Childish dreams are the truest and purest. Nobody never shall destriy them. And be a princess is the sweetest dream.

Michelle Nazar said...

I'll always think that love and strong dreams can make us live like princess forever. I really loved your post. So adorable. Kisses ;-)

Lady Kristen said...

DuskRose_Dreaming: I am glad you enjoyed with post. It is wonderful to see someone else with the same views as well. Thank you for reading my blog.


Madrepérola: I agree with you. I know so many adults that have give up on their childhood dreams. They seem as if they have lost something - some bit of happiness.


Michelle Nazar : Thank you viewing. I'm glad you liked my post. ❤