Personal development plan

I will not bore you with tales of how life and work are taking over my days and the only fleeting hours in which I am not physically busy my mind is fixated on planning the move to my new apartment or looking for wedding vendors.

Anyway, one of the problems most people have with self development is that they do not know where they want to go. How can you grow when you do not know what you want to grow into? If you do not have an end goal where do you start?

This month's quote made me think back to an assignment I had in a Freshman development course. We had to create a personal development plan. This would help the students plan some of the steps we would take in college and later in our future careers. This was a nice project for future thinking. So I thought what would be a better assignment than a PDP for planning on becoming a better lolita, himegyaru, and person.

Purpose:
To develop plans in which I can become a more articulate, elegant, well-dressed, and creative person.
Area to develop: Style
Desired development
1. Have wardrobe of all princessy clothes
2. Have a cute hairstyle
3. Have beautiful nails
How to achieve
1. Be more praticular with clothing selection
2. Learn to wear hair not in a ponytail
• Get a new haircut
3. Take vitamins
• Nurtitionist
• Do not tap nails on objects
• Schedule manicures
• Paint cute designs on nails
Resources needed
1, 2, & 3. Lolita/Himegyaru magazines
3. Vitamins
Timeline
Area #1
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
✓ Short term goal: Clean out old clothes and donate them
Medium term goal: Have 20 new outifts and shoes
Long term goal: Have completely update wardrobe

Area #2
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
Short term goal: Wear hair down for whole month
Medium term goal: Decide on new hairstyle
Long term goal: Have hair cut

Area #3
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
✓ Short term goal: Learn reason for nails flaking
✓ Medium term goal: Keep nails beautiful and get manicure each month
✓ Long term goal: Prevent nails from flaking

Area to develop: Appearance
Desired development
1. Learn make-up tips and tricks
2. Wear more elegant outfits with accessories
3. Lose weight
How to achieve
1. Practice and read tutorials
• Go for a make-up lesson/make-over counciling
2. Be more praticular about clothing selection
• Buy clothes of similar styles I like
3. Exercise more
• Eat more healthy food
• Drink more water
Resources needed
1 & 2. Magazines, stores
3. Exercise plan
• Equipment: game, video, weights
Timeline
Area #1
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
Short term goal: Go for make-up consultation
Medium term goal: Build make-up kit
Long term goal: Need no further help with make-up

Area #2
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
✓ Short term goal: Clean out old clothes and donate them
Medium term goal: Have 20 new outfits and shoes
Long term goal: Have a completely updated wardrobe

Area #3
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
✓ Short term goal: lose 15lbs
Medium term goal: lose 30lbs
Long term goal: lose 60+lbs

Area to develop: Attitude
Desired development
1. Be graceful
2. Be more lady-like
3. Learn etiquette
How to achieve
1. Become fluid with my movements
1, 2, & 3. Always remember my please and thank yous
• Read etiquette books
• Mind my manners
Resources needed
1, 2, & 3. Etiquette books/classes
• Observation of people that display those qualities
Timeline
Area #1
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
✓ Short term goal: Be less clumsy
Medium term goal: Take a dance class
Long term goal: Carry myself gracefully

Area #2
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
✓ Short term goal: Read etiquette books
Medium term goal: Act gracefully
Long term goal: Refrain from any vulgarity

Area #3
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
✓ Short term goal: Read etiquette books
Medium term goal: Take an etiquette class
Long term goal: Apply education in everyday life

Area to develop: Creativity
Desired development
1. Complete a craft at least once a month
2. Develop a new hobby
3. Write creative and articluate articles
How to achieve
1. Look for interesting crafts tutorials
• Look at craft supplies for idea
2. Search online for hobby ideas
• Visit a hobby store
3. Research relevant lolita/himegyaru topics
• Read interesting blogs
• Spend ~4 hours a day writing
Resources needed
1. Craft magazines/ blogs
• Craft supplies
2. Hobby magazines/ blogs
• Hobby supplies
3. Lolita/himegyaru blogs/ forums
Timeline
Area #1
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
Short term goal: Set up a well organized craft space
Medium term goal: Plan a craft a month
Long term goal: Avoid procrastination and finish all crafts

Area #2
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
Short term goal: Investigate and pick a hobby
Medium term goal: Set up a well organized craft space
Long term goal: Become skilled in new hobby

Area #3
Start date: Feb. 23, 2011
Short term goal: Set 4+ hours a day to work on blog
✓ Medium term goal: Go through egl and other lolita forums for topic ideas
Long term goal: Write, write, write

That was definitely easier to construction on a powerpoint.

image from: Bet Breira

11 comments:

Winsome said...

This is really neat. ^^ I've been building goals for myself a lot this year as part of my New Year's resolution to just "get more done," and it's pretty successful.

And personally, I think it's cool to know about how your actual life is going too!

Sparklewolfie said...

That is pretty cool :) Having specifics and short-term goals is really important! I tend to be too vague in my own goals XD

Lady Kristen said...

Winsome: Thank you. I'm glad that your goal setting is going well for you as well!

I really liked making the previous PDP for my class and this one. It really does make me think ahead to what I want to accomplish and how I will do that.

Sparklewolfie: Thank you! I tend to be vague will my goals as well. But I was more specific with my 101 in 1001 days and this PDP. That is why it takes so long for me to post them.

Secretcolor said...

This article is cool!

Oh, and to keep your nails from flaking, try some nail strengthening polish.

Lady Kristen said...

Secretcolor: Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

I have actually tried 3 different nail strengtheners or the years. But they all seem to fail in one way or another.

Hiyoko said...

My nails are super flakey too -_- but I know my reasons, so maybe they might help you out! The first problem I ran into was hand sanitizer, it dried my nails out which caused insane flaking, so I know not to use it in excess. Another problem is dry weather. It can also be a problem for your skin as well as your nails if you wash your hands too much without drying properly or moisturizing afterwards. I have to admit that the worst nail destroyer for me is nail polish; I believe some of us just have a sensitivity to it. Even if I wear the most expensive brand for more than a day I'm guaranteed to ruin my nails (more so in the winter months). I find the worst polish for damaging my nails though is cheap crap like NYC, but even your average Sally Hansen can mess my nails up. If you believe you too suffer from fussy nails my advice is buy a good quality polish, have a decent moisturizer (I use Avene Cicalfate when I can afford it), or you can...as weird as this sounds...rub olive oil into your nails once daily. Crazy but a lot of people find it works.

Lady Kristen said...

Hiyoko: Thank you for the advice. I don't use hand sanitzer very often. I think one of problems is moisture. I work in a laboratory and wear gloves most of the time.

I have an olive oil hair conditioner so I don't find your last advice weird. My hair does well with the conditioner so olive oil might help on my nails too.

Violet LeBeaux said...

I love this post! I think having a good plan is really half the battle :D

Lady Kristen said...

Violet LeBeaux: Thank you! I agree with you. I always find that once I have a plan I can accomplish anything that I want to do.

theEmocarebear said...

I will be using your set up method for my own personal goals; thanks!

Lady Kristen said...

theEmocarebear: You're welcome. I'm glad I could help you.