September challenge

"Pretty is something you're born with. But beautiful, that's an equal opportunity adjective."
--Unknown

Like the majority of women I had body image issues as a child and teenager. It started with being unsatisfied with my weight and appearance in my tweens. I was always the tallest person in my class, wore glasses, had asthma, and had curly and uncooperative hair. It also did not help that I hated being biracial at the time. All of the girls I thought were pretty looked nothing like me. And I was jealous of half of my cousins with their blond hair and blue eyes or their red hair and green eyes.

All that lead to me giving up on myself and not caring what I looked like. By the time I was 16 I weighed 309lbs. My entire wardrobe consisted of jeans, shorts, oversized T-shirts, running jackets, and a pair of sneakers. I thought fashion and make-up were only for pretty girls. And I was most certainly not one. But then something finally clicked for me and by my 17th year I started losing weight, and trying to be more fashionable. A friend introduced me to a flattening iron and I began to replace my old unflattering clothes. Over the next few years I learned that while I was not one of the prettiest girls in the world I was certainly not ugly.


Sadly I let my weight balloon back up while working at my last horrible job. I was so fixated on how miserable I was with my job that I did not focus on anything else. Happily I have lost most of the regained weight already. Since last year I have lost 45lbs!

So September is the month that I will focus on beauty, inside and out. For those of you who follow my twitter already know that I have been cutting back on soda. And a few of my next goals are to remember to take my vitamins daily and find a good facial cleanser. I hope everyone will have a healthy and beautiful September as well!


image from: StephenPick

7 comments:

Lavenrose said...

Good luck with the September challenge! I'll probably be more focused on school than on beauty ^^;.

Alyssa said...

Hello. :) My name is Alyssa, and I'm relatively new to your blog. :)

I really enjoy it when people make posts like this one; it's motivational without feeling heavy-handed and positive without feeling contrived, which are both instances that I've come across in motivational-type posts. Thank you for writing this. :)

Céleste said...

Thank you for this post! It's nice to hear that you overcame some of your body image issues, I agree, I think most girls do have body image issues, I felt similar to you as you described the feelings you had about yourself when you were younger, I was the tallest girl in my class for almost my whole time at school, I also had asthma and was quite large :/ it was quite difficult, it's only recently that i've been able to lose a substantial amount of weight and actually address my body image issues, by telling yourself you are not ugly you start to believe it! I never thought that by simply thinking positively it could make such a difference to the way in which you perceive yourself!

Lady Kristen said...

Lavenrose : I do not have anything major to focus on at the moment. I hope your classes are going well!

Alyssa : You are welcome. Welcome and thank you for visiting my blog ❤. I am glad you liked the post. I was worried that people would find it too personal or boring. I hope I can continue to be inspiring.

Céleste : You are welcome! I am glad to see someone else that liked my post. It is good to hear from another person that has recovered for their childhood body issues. I hope you continue to think positively as I do. I have always believed if you think negatively your life will be negative and if you think positively your life will be positive.

Fiammetta Rey said...

That's so much like what happened to me... except I'm 20 and only getting over the "self-hate and thinking I can't improve" recently... I hope I get to the point where I can be confident ^_^ Your blog is very inspiring.

Lady Kristen said...

Fiammetta Rey: Thank you! I hope you can get to the point where you are confident and happy with yourself as well. You seem like a nice person, there is no need to be negative toward yourself. ❤

USAhime said...

Lady Kristen-chan, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about Nakamura Asumiko from her interviews in Gothic & Lolita Bible. I need some information on her childhood (like what inspired her to be an artist) and on her art education! It would really help, because I need the info ASAP, so I can begin my art project...